Thursday, 11 November 2010

Union Jack cushion cover

Here is my finished Union Jack Cushion Cover and I must say I am pretty pleased with it!
I made the block that formed the Union Jack using the tutorial from Lily Quilts and then added some sashing to make the front of the cover.  The back was made using an envelope design (so no zips, buttons or poppers).  I even used a small strip of the sashing material to edge the front of the envelope panel on the back & I think it gave a very nice finish!

Lily has a Union Jack group over on Flickr for anyone to add photos of their Union Jack projects and I have added mine.

I have another cushion to cover but this one is larger & square in shape.  I fancy either doing something with yo-yo flowers or maybe do a wonky log cabin block on the front....all using my scraps.  I am off now to put my thinking cap on!

Tuesday, 9 November 2010

New Projects

I think I have now settled on the Kona Coal for the sashing on the quilt I am going to make using the Amy Butler Jelly Roll....I just need to get around to ordering it!

In the meantime I have not been idle - I have been working on some cross stitch.  I was given some charts from Heaven & Earth Designs for Christmas a few years ago - they are beautiful designs but much more of a challenge than other cross stitch patterns that I have attempted.  The designs are based on pictures of fantasy figures and fairytales by a wide number of artists and these pictures are then translated into cross stitch patterns. The resulting patterns are huge!  The one I have started with has a pattern that is 22 pages long....and they are stitched on 25 count aida but 1 over 1!!!  This makes the stitches very small indeed.  

I started my current project about 2 years ago & have only completed 2 pages of the pattern so far.  To make it easier to keep track of what I have stitched I colour in the pattern as I stitch so eventually the whole paper pattern will be coloured in.  I am not sure how long it will take me to complete my cross stitch - probably a good few more years yet & then I have 2 more to do, one of which is called The Queen of Hearts...its a beautiful picture, full of deep & rich reds.

I am also in the planning stages for a couple of cushion covers at the moment...I have 2 un-covered cushions in our playroom which are crying out to be covered but I am not sure what to do yet.  One is square & the other is a rectangle shaped cushion.  The rectangle one could easily lend itself to a Union Jack cover & I have found some tutorials for Union Jack patches and for the other I would like to perhaps make a cover incorporating some yo yo flowers (I have the tools to make them but have not so far used them in any projects). 

All the fabric I need is hopefully in my stash - I purchased some nice fabric at the Knitting & Stitching Show which could be used for the Union Jack cover and I have a lot of Amy Butler Love Fabric left from the tops I made back in the summer....I just need to get myself in to gear & get on with it!